Wednesday, February 1, 2012

End of week 2


Hello from sunny Mysore!
Another week comes to a close with much to report. After the whole pneumonia drama, I spent the next week taking heavy antibiotics, sleeping a lot, and practicing. Beginning my second week, I started into my full practice which is made up of full Primary and Intermediate poses up to Eka Pada Sirsasana (one leg behind the head). Normally this is the pose you're practice is split at - dropping Primary and focusing on Intermediate - but I have not been split. And I don't mind! It just means I have the opportunity to build strength. The week went smoothly, taking my time with each posture, enjoying the energy of the shala. I started to notice that my right knee was tight. It was a strange feeling. Every time I tried to flex and externally rotate (lotus) I had to apply pressure just in behind my knee to get the joint to release. I thought nothing of it and continued on. Then Sunday led practice came along. We waited outside the shala for the doors to open. Everyone pushed and shoved to get inside - embarrassing...The place is still so busy there are 3 led practice time slots to accommodate the number of people. Most years there have only been two...I set up in the lobby to avoid having to wrestle with anyone for a spot in the main room. All was good through Surya Namaskara's and standing sequence. Then we got to the floor. The second jump through I caught my right foot a little on my mat. I pushed it through to sit and SNAP. The knee gave out and that was it. I couldn't bend my leg for the rest of the practice. I went from practice back to the same hospital I had been to the Sunday before and requested an MRI. Again, being an Indian hospital I was ushered into the room immediately.

I spent the next half an hr inside the MRI drifting in and out of sleep. 6000rps (around $125) later I was done! I went to see Sharath before conference to let him know what had happened. He recommended a doctor and sent me on my way. I spent the rest of the day at conference (which I have written a separate blog about) and then with the doctor. He confirmed the diagnosis and recommended 6 days of physio along with lots of fluids and ice packs. I can still practice as long as I am mindful and go super slow. I'm learning a ridiculous amount already...

The next day it was time to go into the city for thali! Thali is a vegetarian meal with a bottomless assortment of dhal, vegetables, rice, and papad, ending (eventually) with something sweet. So after practice, we had no breakfast. We were saving ourselves for the thali at Hotel RRR.
OMG so delicious! We rolled out of there and waddled over to the market to buy essential oils. I picked up some saffron vanilla and patchouli. Gonna try them out this week.

I have decided that this coming Sunday I WILL NOT be spending the day in any hospital like I have done the last two Sundays. Instead I plan to treat myself to a massage at Indus Valley. So much is happening to my physical body here, from pneumonia, to a torn miniscus, yesterday I pulled my neck muscles, and this morning I woke up to discover I had been a buffet to some sort of biting insect. Enough is enough! I'm listening. Apparently my emotional/mental bodies are trying to tell me something. I'll keep you posted. Until next week....

Be well,
E xo

No comments:

Post a Comment